For any of our Forums members who haven't yet heard It, presidential candidate Johnny Araya (against CR Constitutional rules against withdrawing from a presidential run-off) has withdrawn from the race.

That means Centrist candidate Luis Guillermo Solís, the other in the run-off-that-would-have-been, is now 'it'.

Costa Rica never ceases to surprise me!

Just FWIW . . .

Paul M.

==

My wife and I will cast our vote on April 06,2014 as Johnny Araya is still in this horse-race and could win the Presidency if he receives one more vote than Solis.

Mornin' Rick,

What I read in several of the articles reporting Araya's withdrawal is that by law his name is still on the ballot but it is somehow inactive. He withdrew, after all, and announced it pubically. Actualy I wonder whether this action was a ploy to garner sympathy -and votes- out of pity for him. The survey Wednesday that came out of U of CR showed Araya as trailing benind Solís by 40% for the run-off.

I'm sure ther'll be more about this situation in today's continuing media reportage.

What a world . . .

Paul M.

==

Just saw the news on the tele this morning. They were saying that Araya has suspended his campaign, not withdrawn his candidacy. I suppose that it is not an automatic slam-dunk for Solis since Araya's name will still be on the ballot but Johnny will not be doing any more campaigning.

He could be out of money too. His campaign was recently fined several thousand dollars (5 figures) for displaying campaign flags and banners at a sporting event in the Gymnasio Nacional.

I also think he did this to get some sympathy vote & if he loses can say it was because did not campaign.

Carol,

I'm with you on that. It is part of what I suggested earlier in this topic (Post #4), and I would not be surprised that that is what it is, what with the penchant in CR for 'quedar bien'. That is something akin to the Japanese attitude of not wanting to 'lose face'.

Paul M.

==

All of you who have Tico/Tica (or in Rick's case, Tika) relatives, I'd be interested in hearing what they think. Our Spanish teacher believes that this is a ploy to get Solis' supporters not to turn out in sufficient numbers so Araya wins. (I heard the same thing from someone else today.)

Post here, please!

regards,

Gayle (I can't vote, I can't express an official opinion, but I can at least show my interest,I think)

Gayle, Jorge is worried that people will think they don't have to vote now, that it's not that important anymore, that the race is basically "over". As others have said, the election is still going forward as planned, it's only the active campaigning that's stopped, so it's conceivable that the end to the campaign could actually contribute to an Araya win, rather than the race being over for him, depending on what people think of the announcement and who shows up to vote in the end. I saw today that he's about to go on a "gratitude tour" ... which to me is kind of like campaigning without campaigning. We shall see ...