The CAJA premium was reported to be calculated from 10-19%.

Since the wife and I already have pre-paid medical through our pensions in the USA, do we elect to join the CAJA or take two round trip flights and a fourteen day cruise from the US, per year?

Tough choices relating to present and promised future CAJA increases.

Well, if you are only visiting CR as a tourist, you don't need to join CAJA. However, if you have applied for legal residency, when you get approved and go to get your cedulas, you will need to show affiliation with the CAJA. And to renew you will have to be paid up with the CAJA.

You should also check to make sure that your US medical will cover you outside the US, some do, some don't.

Do you mean that you are questioning if you should become a resident or remain a tourist? Because if you become a resident, you have no choice about CAJA - you must join. If you're struggling with the decision between residency or remaining a tourist, I suppose that is all dependent upon lots of things, such as how much time you want to be in Costa Rica, do you have assets in Costa Rica, would it absolutely devastate you to not get 90-day stamps upon entry, etc.?

Jessica

The questions many of us new "Boomers" have when searching for ideal retirement or travel destinations are some of the same as the previous "Boomers" before us. Now with all the new social media tools and information so readily available, the top locations and "bang for the buck" destinations are rapidly changing. For sure, we are living in a changing and very dynamic world!

Becoming a resident in Costa Rica is a significant investment in time and dollars, also planning, building and maintaining a residence is a huge commitment to supporting Costa Rica and its people. The new laws and mandatory requirements imposed to join CAJA and the additional monthly expense can be an unexpected financial burden/expense that some "Boomers" didn't forsee or add into their present or future planned budgets. For some that had hoped to live in Ticoland fulltime they may need to change their plans to become "residents" and be happy just visiting down south as a "tourist" from time to time.

Remember; once you afilliate with the CAJA you are in it "till death do you part" OR Formally Cancel your CR Residency Status with the CR Migracion. I just read on another thread on this Forum there is a provision in the law to "suspend" Caja payments but I am not aware of any Forum Member Post that anyone has successfully done this.

If for some reason you need to "Abandon" Ticoland You must keep your Caja payments current until approval is given on your CR Residency Request of Cancellation.

If you are not a property owner here and do not plan ever returning to Ticoland guess I would not be too concerned.

I just completed the process of Cancelling my CR Permanent Residency Status and it was not "quick and easy"(around 8 months).

Edited by tibas9