• Announcements

• Epicatt2

IMPORTANT - READ BEFORE POSTING to SUPPORT FORUM   01/28/2011

Posts to this Support Forum are to be related ONLY to one's ARCR membership. Posts inappropriate to the Support Forum will be removed without comment. Please post all other types of questions to the appropriate Forum. Only Forums Moderators, Administrators and ARCR Employees ae able to make any replies to this ARCR Support Forum. Paul M. Forums Moderator ==
dbarton62

Our dream/intention to live in CR

jal    0

There are many things that are taken for granted, due to familiarity.

Here are some strange/different/unfamiliar/surprising items ...

Tiles everywhere on everything

No door sills

Sweeping and mopping of tile floor made easier with no door sill

Shinny tile floors are only achieved by repeated sweeping and mopping

For some reason, I expected a lot more Bugs on windshields because its the tropics

I also expected that I would be in a constant battle to keep the bugs out of the house. Sorry, not this house. I made a homemade fruit fly trap that work. There less fly here that my house in Canada.

jal    0

Cut a plastic bottle in half. Poke a small hole in the cap. Take the top half and set it, upside down into the bottom half. If you think you will tip it over then tape both pieces together. The top half make a funnel that the flies cannot find the hole they came into the bottle.

For bait, I use some wine, vinegar or even a small piece of something rotting like a piece of banana.

Epicatt2    0

Great idea JAL!

Here is another version, made with a plastic cup, a rubber band, and some Saran Wrap, that I found online at:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-Fruit-Fly-Trap/

. . . by doing a Google search for keywords: 'DIY plastic bottle fruit-fly trap'.

There are a few other types that also popped up at the same time.

They all look like they're pretty effective.

Buena Suerte!

Paul M.

==

jal    0

I have learned a few more things about CR.

Living in a cloud is wet, damp and cold.

Fog is not like a cloud.

Cloud are always moving, meaning its windy.

Since the beginning of jan., everywhere that I have been, coco beach, Tilaran, to Quesada, it has been windy. Is that normal for CR?

The strap of my pack exposed the skin on my shoulder and I got a sunburn on my shoulder. (An afternoon)

The light switches are 12 in. lower than where I come from.

I feel sorry for everyone trying to make a living from the mountainous terrain that I have seen.

Could ants carry off the house while I was asleep?

Edited by jal

Epicatt2    0

Jal,

Yes it gets windy in CR but it usually starts a bit later than it did this year. The wlinds last into March & sometimes persist into April. This is a normal occurrence for CR although some parts of the country tend to be windier than others.

They aren't that low in my apatment in Alajuela. Those in my apartment are about the same height as the ones in my house in Tampa. (Lightswitches)

It has been said that people who like in mountainous countries are among the healthiest in the world from all that exercise they get from walking up and down the hills all the time. Well, that is if they don't head into town every so often and snarf down on US Fast Food afterwards . . .

It's doubtful that ants are going to carry off your house; it's the termites that do that! The ants just like for you to leave a few odd crumbs on the kitchen counter and then they come inside for a picnic. They leave the house for you tolater on forget and leave some more crumbs scattered about in time for their next picnic.

You'll soon get the hang of how things work in CR. And you probably will come to actually enjoy most of them. (Trust me; it's true.)

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

Depending on where you are in Guanacaste, the winds begin in November and may last until March, then sporadically through the rest of the year as the winds blows travel down from the multiple volcanos. Some areas are worse than others. We have had two big trees come down in the past few weeks,

I read yesterday Jan 30th. that the Tilaran windmills had to shut down due 'to the wind speeds of 140 to 150 kph have been detected. That's about 87 to 93 mph'.

Didn't we mention that gardens may not grow as planned... ;)

My dad used to tell us, when we kids living in Scotland 'it's the wind that tans you...' as we shivered at our annual visit to the shore.

jal    0

I have only seen one set/installation of wind mills that does not appear to be running all the time.

Today, Sat., was the second day in this month, that it was sunny all day. I mean, no clouds to hit you in the face and drenched you.

I would estimate that Tilaran gets 50 per cent of the wetness that San Luis gets.

We spent the day in Tilaran. On the week end there is reduced bus service. The posted bus schedules are not kept up to date. Checking with the regular bus users is the most accurate info.

The bus driver known everyone on his route and knows where to stop to let them off. He even waits for someone that is late and still running to catch the bus. It's so human and unusual.

I hope that my comments and impressions are useful to others trying to decide if CR is for them.

jal    0

Time flies. This is my last week here.

Today, the bus driver told someone to give up their seat to an old lady. Someone did and the bus left the stop.

There were a lot of people on the bus. Why! I had an old tica lady sit beside me and she found out what it was like being so close to a old gringo. From her smile, I gathered that she was not put off.

I do think that everyone knew each other because they would give their parcels to someone to put into their lap as they maneuver into their own seat. If the lady had a child in her lap then the parcels would be retrieved at their disembarkation point.

Marsrox    0

This regards dealing with the aftermath of dying in Costa Rica while owning your 'dream house', or any other real estate and tangible property, all unencumbered by liens.

I realize that I should have an atty help me write a will. I have a home and lot worth low six figures and a used vehicle worth (today) about $20K, all in my name (no S.A.'s). There are personal effects in the house.

My financial accounts in the US have beneficiaries which I believe keeps those funds segregated from being included here.

I searched the arcr archives and found no threads to suggest the best type of will or what the atty will charge. I suspect that in my case a will should be the type submitted to the Registro Nacional.

I have no heirs other than my 85 yr old mother and a younger brother who will be named beneficiaries for the property here. Neither has a passport, neither travels anywhere beyond where a tank of gas will take them or has any inkling of how to deal with anything more complicated than renewing their license plates - a concern.

On line- for example the go-to site of Roger Peterson- the various types of wills are described. The only atty's fee for this work I could find was mentioned elsewhere to be based on a % of the assets starting at a 1% fee when almost nothing is in the estate. In my case, it seemed my fee would be 2% of $2,000 for a one-page document witnessed by four people. I'll guess the colegio de abogados probably has something listing minimum fees.

Can anyone share their experience and wisdom regarding this eventuality? As part of the will, it will be mentioned that I have arranged and pre-paid cremation.

T&VSmith    0

I sent you a rather long winded PM on what we just did. It has some "delicate" information so I did not want to post it publicly.

Cheers .... Terry

salish sea    0

Hi Marsrox (love your name and meant to say that to you a long time ago),

Our attorney here in San Ramon charged us I think around $250 for wills for both of us. We do have our house in an SA, so the situation is a little different, but at least that gives you some idea.

regards,

Gayle

Marsrox    0

Hola Terry:

I do not know what a 'PM' is, but whatever it is, I don't have it.

Or maybe I do and its buried under some electrons somewhere with my name in quarks. Feel free to resend your wisdom to Marsrox@gmail.com Thank you for the help.

Hola Gayle:

It was around 1994, when I first needed an email address (for aol.com dial-up).

I was dealing, researching and writing about meteorites, specializing in those from Mars. I needed something remarkable enough I could develop as a 'brand'. MARSROX hit me in the noggin.

Little did I know that this interest would lead me on a journalistic voyage interviewing the world's museum curators for a NZ science journal, while honored to preview the cabinets of Europe's priceless historic collections.

In the Paris NHM i viewed an electron 'scope projection of a fragment of Antarctic Mars meteorite ALH84001 and observed the carbonates and alleged fossil cell fragments it was said to contain. All while discussing the evidence for life on Mars with the very researchers claiming this in 1994.

I have certain of my original research on NASA websites. I've organized and led two month-long Bolivian govt-sponsored expeditions around the Altiplano (and you think dealing with Migracion is difficult?) to recover that country's first authenticated meteorite, which my team did in 2001.

Of course, the best part has been the worldwide friendships I now have.

If this subject interests you, check out my book "The Art of Collecting Meteorites" on Amazon.

It all started as a hobby...

And of course I would be remiss not to celebrate being part of this great community. Thanks to all.

DanaJ    0

Marsrox, if you look at the top of the forum page, you will see an envelope icon, that should be where your PMs are.

Dana