dbarton62

Our dream/intention to live in CR

The good news is the devaluation will make CR more affordable to everyone that has income or investments in dollars. Prices are definitely out of whack here. I'd say a 20% devaluation would start to get things back to where CR should be. just a very rough guesstimate.

Hello!

I have arrived in cr and I am staying near San Luis. It has been windy, even on my trip to the blue zone.

So far, the wind and the wet clouds have been drenching us every day. It did not stop us from going exploring to Tilaran.

Our property mgr is sick and tired of this unusual wet weather. Everything feel damp. We keep the cellin fan running so that we don't feel so damp. Today, there was no wind and only some high clouds that could not scrap off their load of water and leave us drenched.

A cottage at the lake for a permanent location would not be for us.

I am going to explore farther. I looking for input. How about Canas? It appears to be outside of the "rain zone".

Canas is a very "authentic" Costa Rican town with no tourism, just a few "gringos" and very few English speakers. It is mostly a commercial center. The weather there is very hot and dry and during many months of the year, dusty with swirling dust during the dry season.

I live not far from Canas and when I can't stand the rain anymore, I hop in my car and drive to Canas for a day in the sun. Or at least, a day in the heat. Not sure it would be totally pleasant to be there all the time unless you really like hot weather. Just human nature, of course, but there have been times when I was in Canas doing errands and shopping and looking longingly at the clouds hovering over the mountains in the background.

There are "weather patterns" in Costa Rica, of course, and influences from many things - mostly the two oceans. But in general, the higher elevations will produce more rain and humidity -- but a milder climate overall.

Edited by eleanorcr

Thanks.

I Keep reading about the best place to live are the towns around SanJose. (weather wise)

Would canas be a competitor?

How would you rate Libano?

The weather in the Central Valley -- towns around San Jose -- is generally pretty mild and that's why that area is popular. Plus, there is access to all sorts of shopping and entertainment and restaurants that other locations don't have. (And more gringos which some people like.)

Canas weather is totally different. Take a look here: http://costa-rica-guide.com/Weather/WeatherMap.html and you will get some idea about rainfall and time of year. Although... last year, the weather was kind of crazy. For temperatures, you can look at AccuWeather for Costa Rica which is pretty good. There's also the Costa Rica weather bureau here: http://www.imn.ac.cr/

When you write "libano" do you mean "Liberia?" It has similar weather to Canas. They are both located in the hot,dry plains of Guanacaste. Liberia is bigger than Canas, more expensive and more frantic. But it's closer to the beaches, if that is appealing to you. And hot. Very hot.

On google map, it is on highway 926 going east, from Canas.

I spent 3 days in Liberia. It was very windy.

From you previous info, I did find that highway 1 was under improvement and it made traffic difficult.

Liberia is not always so windy -- it's just this time of year.

I have never heard of "Libano" but I looked it up on my map and it looks like you would be better off to try to reach it from Tilaran.

Hi Jal,

I expanded an aerial CR map for Libano and there doesn't seem to be any real sort of town center there; just a couple of small scant, separated clusters of dwellings and what appears maybe to be a mining pit area. So there doesn't seem to be much of anything there. Your regular shopping would lilely have to be carried out in either Tilarán or in Cañas.

If you go from Tilarán around the N side of Lake Arenal you will come to La Fortuna. It's gotten touristy over the last decade or so due to Volcán Arenal and how much it was showing off up 'til about three years ago. Now that Arenal has taken a nap of undetermined duration La Fortuna may quieten down somewhat since the word is finally getting around that the 'show it over' for the time being, and fewer tourists likely will come to La Fortuna now. Elsewhere V. Poás, Irazú and Turrialba plus perhaps V. Rincón de la Vieja are now lots more interesting and active by comparison so tourists will prolly go to those to get their volcano fixes and La Fortuna should become somewhat sleepy again.

Because of that there may be some good deals (rental houses or for sale) for a while. Since La Fortuna had grown due to the atraction of the volcano there should be enough infrastructure already there so you can get most of what you need in town.

Or you could continue traveling eastward an hour or so past La Fortuna 'til you come Ciudad Quesada (aka San Carlos) which is a large farming town that serves as the head of the Cantón of San Carlos. This town sits in the foothills that face towards the northern lowlands and savanas of CR and the town is not very cold nor too hot. It has good infrastructure and so far is not overly touristy, IMO. That might be a place worth checking out.

Good luck with your continued search.

Regards,

Paul M.

==

We live 25 kl from Cañas, and agree that Cañas is very hot, dry and dusty town ...and windy ...as is the whole area. The wind starts in November and is likely to continue until March. :wacko:

Pretty... but wet and windy describes the area around Lake Arenal and why it is popular with wind surfers.

Luckily, our home is situated just outside of town, with lots of tropical landscaping, so is more protected and so it feels to us, like our own tropical oasis B) and hopefully water rationing doesn't begin...

Edited by costaricafinca

re: Ownership of Home

I am a US citizen, a permanent resident of CR, single without dependents, with an above average nest age.

Since I moved to CR in 1990, with a 'break' from 1996-2002, I've -

- rented a condo in Los Yoses,

- a house in a gated community in Ciudad Colon,

- an apartment in Alajuela, and...

- presently a 2/2 house in Santa Ana in a private compound. It's $750/mo with cable, internet, garbage, a landline, water and electric. It is private and I have tall trees and gardens, an atrium off of the bathroom.

For nine years I owned an 800m2 home on a 6000m walled in lot w/ pool, rancho and an indoor basketball court in Tambor de Alajuela. Although that house had been remodeled at a cost of +$200K and was incredible with several indoor gardens, teak and almendro and Colombian marble in the baths, there are few cash buyers for homes 'worth' over $500K (real estate agents wanted to price it at $1.2 million) and it was sold after five years on the market at a $50,000 loss to a Tico. Several other Ticos were interested and couldn't qualify for mortgages.

Although six established real estate companies advertised it (both , only one hustling (well-known to members of ARCR)) Tico showed it. And he was threatened by other agents for 'stealing their clients' creating the possibility of a multi-year law suit holding up the closing. Meanwhile, because it was in an S.A. the books had to have a new entry and an error was made (and discovered, then deleted) that could have made me liable for any future 'discoveries of damages'. When the closing was attempted with the buyers funds going directly to my bank acct in the US, Banco Nacional couldn't get on the internet to transmit the funds and my atty recommended putting them overnight in his local acct to close the deal. The next day he invented over $1,500 in alleged charges which I refused to pay and demanded he transmit the funds, which he did.

Three years of rental bliss have passedReaders may recognize

Comment to jal: you've been on the forums on and off, so probably know this already, but rent for a while in a place you think you'll like. Spend 2 or 3 months there. Like it, great, renew your tourist visa and see if you still think it's for you. Don't like it? Think about why you don't like it and find somewhere else to rent (when you return) and see if that suits you better. Once you decide that CR is for you, apply for residency. But rent until you're sure, and let Marsrox's story be a cautionary tale. Other thing I'd add is that neighborhoods change: barking dogs, annoying neighbors, nuisances. With a rental, you can leave and find something in a better location. With home ownership, much harder.

Good luck!

regards,

Gayle

Hello everyone, and thank you.

If anyone want to get a free cup of coffee then set up a meet. :-)

I went to canas by bus this morning. It was raining when I left but warm and sunny with a refreshing breeze in canas.

It felt good to get the dampness out of our bones. I have had 2 locals tell me that the rains are lasting longer than usual.

No bus ride for tomorrow, Sat. We will rest.

Sunday is going to be spent at a farmers market.

@ Paul M.

I googled Ciudad Queada (aka San Carlos) and I liked what I read. If I can I'll make a trip.

To all

There will not be a buying of a house on this trip. There could be a longer rental trip next year.

It's time for me to go write my notes. Until later.

@ Paul M.

I googled Ciudad Queada (aka San Carlos) and I liked what I read. If I can I'll make a trip.

Hi again, Jal,

Mea Culpa! I misspelled 'Ciudad Quesada' in my previous post. <— That's the correct spelliing there. (I left out the 's', alas!)

It's also known as 'San Carlos', so you may hear ticos refer to it it by either name.

Cheers!

Paul M.

==