• Announcements

• Epicatt2

IMPORTANT - READ BEFORE POSTING to SUPPORT FORUM   01/28/2011

Posts to this Support Forum are to be related ONLY to one's ARCR membership. Posts inappropriate to the Support Forum will be removed without comment. Please post all other types of questions to the appropriate Forum. Only Forums Moderators, Administrators and ARCR Employees ae able to make any replies to this ARCR Support Forum. Paul M. Forums Moderator ==
dbarton62

Our dream/intention to live in CR

Marsrox,

Thank you again for this follow-up commentary.

You have provided for us a very important synthesis of potential problems and difficulties that the expat considering buying property in CR can experience.

If nothing esle it will give the newbie expat (and others) some important things to consider before taking steps toward buying a property.

Certainly your comments here will not save everyone from rushing into an unfortunate real estate purchase or becoming nvolved in some other sort of undesirable situation.

Because of the amount of information that you have provided in the three posts you have made to this topic I have decided to PIN this thread so it will be easy to find for future reference.

Best Regards,

Paul M.

Fourms Moderator

==

Paul, I'm surprised you are eating up this guys opinion. It shouldn't be pinned.

What we are not hearing from him is more details as to why he feels the need to be soooo paranoid of losing his property. 100% of the time, people like that have a back story as to why they are being targeted.

Like Annalise said, there are procedures before purchasing a property to ensure that the property does not have existing problems. This is called the due diligence period and a good real estate agent and lawyer can be very valuable during this process. And yes there are good agents and lawyers in this country.

In my opinion Paul, I don't think it's wise to endorse another member's opinion as truth.

Many problems are not known prior to the actual purchase... even with due diligence. Water problems, septic field problems, drainage, noise concerns and the list goes on.

Just because one has not encountered any of above, yet, it doesn't mean that your neighbor hasn't.

In any country, a seller does not necessarily tell you of the problems of the property ...

I disagree. Soil studies are common during due diligence and can rule out current drainage and septic field problems. It can't rule out future problems, as no one can predict the futurw. Water problems can be diagnosed with a water sample examination and well experts can give their 2 cents on how to treat well problems.

Any property in any part of the world is going to have potential and real problems. There is a degree of risk buying any product.

Maybe we should change the title of this subforum to Don't Buy Real Estate because....

Edited by jesselongworth

As mentioned before, I am not saying do not purchase real estate here, but saying 'take your time'.

I have also previously posted that it is wise to have your water tested before a purchase. Did I ever mention that we found the remains of a dead cow buried deep into the soil, from where our ground water was being pumped?

Epicatt2    0

Hello Jesse,

Here on the Forums we are by design going to see opposing opinions expressed. That's pretty much a given.

CRF's post pointed out what too oftern can happen to folks who come to CR and become essentially 'blinded by the glory of the tropics'. At that moment of exposure there are prolly more of them than we might expect who seem to just set their brains aside and, basking in lo tropical make some rash buying decisions without thinking them thru.

I felt that Marsrox' three posts made for a useful alert and provided a reasonably comprehensive synthesis of the sorts of problems others have run into in CR when buying property.

That's why this thread was pinned. To the contrary, you are not required to agree with mine or Marsrox' opinions, although others here may.

Regards,

Paul M.

==

ciclista    0

I enjoyed reading Marsox's essays. I've bought and sold a number of properties, including some in CR, so while I don't agree with everything he wrote or how he went about some things, there is still much to consider from what he has shared with us. It's easy to find evidence of poorly-considered "investments" in CR real estate, particularly by foreigners, and Marsox's cautionary tales could help others avoid similar situations.

Epicatt2    0

Jesse,

I strongly suspect that had I pinned a topic that you agreed with you would not be carrying on and picking at me this way.

Thanx for the support.

Paul M.

==

ciclista    0

What I take exception to is you have the ability to pin a thread you personally agree with whereas the regular member does not. A good forum moderator should be unbiased.

I think the pinned thread overtly expresses the negatives of buying property in CR, but it's easy to read between the lines a little and discern the mistakes, pitfalls, and other issues that should/could be avoided if one is considering buying real estate in CR. If one prefers a more "balanced" discussion about the topic, then add to this thread-because that contribution will also be part of the pinned thread.

For example, many of the negative aspects that Marasox has written about could (likely) be avoided by purchasing a property in a nice condominium development, within a more appealing price range of say, $100k-$250k. If Paul did this he could grow much more than herbs. :-)

Edited by ciclista

Maybe I am wrong, :huh: but I seem to remember that Jesse mentioned in a previous post, that had he prior knowledge of certain aspects about the land he purchased, he may have made a different choice. Is this so or am I wrong, again? Jesse can you fill me in or correct me, please?

Again, my suggestion for a part-time resident is to purchase a home in a condominium development.

Yes we had minor issues, and I set blame on us being too naive and a terrible 'realtor' (was a longtime friend of the family that was not a realtor in Canada and acted in our behalf in CR for a quick buck). This former friend signed off on several items during due diligence without our knowledge; items that we would have flat out rejected and killed the deal. Our situation could have happened anywhere in the world and is not limited to CR.

Jesse,

I strongly suspect that had I pinned a topic that you agreed with you would not be carrying on and picking at me this way.

Thanx for the support.

Paul M.

==

I would support pinning a postive topic. I do not support pinning a topic that is negatively slanted bordering fear mongering.

Epicatt2    0

I would support pinning a postive topic. I do not support pinning a topic that is negatively slanted bordering fear mongering.

Sorry, Jesse but despite your concern that what was pinned is negative there is no doubt in my mind that letting other newbies here on the Forums be aware that there can possibly be some negative aspects to buying property in Costa Rica -so that they can be on the look out for those sorts of things- is a useful thing to do. And having done so I am not hearing any overwhelming outcry against flaging that particular information.

Also, there is nothing stopping any of our Forums members from making posts that present information differing from the pinned post. If you are unhappy with the so-called negative posts, then by all means don't just complain... Start up some new, positive threads.

Regards,

Paul M.

==

patty    0

I very much enjoyed and appreciated Marsrox´ posts. They remind newcomers not to make assumptions based on the way it is in their home countries. I would also like to caution about lawyers here. Mine was charming and handsome and appeared competent. Unfortunately he was incompetent, lazy and a crook like so many others. People recommend their lawyers without understanding the documents they signed which are written in Spanish. When buying a house try to ask all your questions before the closing because after the closing he may not respond.